Last week I had some extra time on my hands and actually contributed a bit in the kitchen! I really do enjoy cooking and baking, but with working late nights and living at home it really doesn’t happen all that often. I’m so lucky my mom cooks a meal pretty much every night. She is the best.
I made banana bread, buffalo turkey burgers, and fluffernutter cake last week. The fluffernutter cake was probably the shining star. It was my dad’s birthday and he (like me) loves peanut butter and when I came across this recipe on Pinterest I knew it was right up his alley. Peanut butter + fluff + chocolate…what more could you want? It was a really rich and dense cake. Maybe that has to do with the fact that it has 2 icings and a lot of butter in every layer? Definitely a recipe I will be repeating.
Fluffernutter Chocolate Cake
6 squares Baker’s semi sweet chocolate
3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups water
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees. Microwave chocolate and butter in large microwaveable bowl on high for 2 minutes. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Stir in sugar. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating with an electric mixer on low speed after each addition until well blended. Add vanilla; mix well.
2. Add 1/2 cup flour, baking soda and salt; beat well. Add remaining 2 cups flour alternately with water. beating until well blended after each addition. Pour evenly into 2 greased and floured 9 inch round cake pans or 13×9 pan.
3. Bake 35 minutes or until tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes before icing.
4. Spread peanut butter icing over cake, then scoop marshmallow butter cream on top, using a knife or spoon to swirl into peanut butter frosting.
Fluffy Peanut Butter Icing
1 stick of unsalted butter at room temp
1 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1. Mix the 3 ingredients until smooth consistency.
1 1/2 stick of butter softened
7 ounces marshmallow fluff
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Cream butter on high speed until light and fluffy, add fluff and combine on high speed until smooth.
2. Add sugar and mix on low speed until combined then increase speed to high until light and fluffy.
3. Mix in vanilla on high speed until combined.
Eat, enjoy, and don’t think about all the calories that are going into your body .